Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Day 23 -- 16 May 2013 -- Home Again, Home Again, Jiggety-Jig

For the first time since I had arrived overseas, I set my alarm. My flight left at 11:30 a.m. from Gatwick so I had to allow time for last-minute packing, showering, eating my last scrumptious breakfast at The Rubens, taxi time to Victoria Station, and the train ride out to the airport, not to mention check-in and going through security. It was a very early wakeup.

Good to say that everything went smoothly. I was excited to go home and see my family. I was excited to see what they thought of the souvenirs they had received in the packages, and how they'd like the things I was bringing with me. Yet I still wished I could extend the trip by a week or two. I didn't want to leave, but as my daughter sometimes says, "We don't always get what we want."

In this final post of my trip of a lifetime, I'll leave you with these parting shots. Since I had taken a photo of the airplane that carried me to this wonderful country, it was only fitting that I get a photo of the one taking me back to the States. Who knows? It could have been the exact same plane. Guess I'll never know, huh.



And this gangplank out to the bird has got to be the longest I've ever walked. Ever.
 
At 4:15 p.m. local time, I arrived back in Florida. Customs was a much nicer experience than when I had arrived in England. The customs officer smiled at me and said, "Let me be the first to welcome you back home."
 
Thanks to all of you who have stuck with me in reading this blog. I know I should have had it up much sooner, and finished earlier than I did. Oh, well. Such is life. Finished now it is (thanks, Yoda). I sincerely hope you've enjoyed reading it as much as I've enjoyed reliving it all through the narrative and photos.
 
One postscript: one of the TwiMoms I mentioned in my York post has always wanted to go to Edinburgh, Scotland. It's been a lifelong dream of hers. After reading of my adventures--along with Judith and Amanda and HM--here on the blog, this dear lady has decided to make her dream come true and is now planning a trip to Edinburgh. I was beyond thrilled when I learned of this.
 
With that in mind, may you decide to take life by the horns and make your dreams come true.
Au revoir. 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment