Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Day 21 -- 14 May 2013 -- Back in London Town

Wanting to make the most of my last two days in England, I took an early train back to London and arrived a little after 1:00 p.m. I found the taxi stand easily and had him take me across town to my last British hotel, The Rubens. This is where I had stored my other bag a week ago, remember? Although it wasn't nearly as large and grand as Bibury Court in the Cotswolds, it was still luxurious and the service was second to none. My room was small but very well-appointed. The best part is that it was a very short walk to Buckingham Palace; in fact, the address was Buckingham Palace Road. It was so close to the palace that the Royal Mews--or stables--was located just across the street.

The Rubens.
See the two red flags hanging from the poles in the left side of the photo? Those two windows between the poles belong to my room.
 
 
Entrance to the Royal Mews. This is where the horses, royal carriages, and royal cars are kept. Anything that ground transports the royal family is here.

Part of the Royal Mews as seen from my hotel.

Just through that arch are the living quarters for some of the palace staff, located right next to the Royal Mews.
 
Since I couldn't get into my room until around 3:00 p.m., I headed off to the palace to get my first look up-close and personal.
This is the gate I walked through to get to the grounds.

My first view of Buckingham Palace.

 
 Although there is one large, pageant-filled changing of the guard daily, there are mini-ones throughout the day and I managed to catch one below.
 


 


I was blown away by all the gold, and how ornate the gates were with the coat of arms everywhere. Even the lights atop the column are "crowned" with small gold crowns. See the flag flying atop the palace? That means the Queen is in the house.

It was just a few feet beyond these double gates in the middle that the most recent birth announcement for Prince George Alexander Louis was mounted on the golden royal easel. Even though I wasn't there to see it happen, I was thrilled to know that less than two months prior I had been at that very spot.
 
See? I was there!
 
Close-up of the royal coat of arms. That gold really blinds you; I'm not kidding. Maybe a little.

Entryway into the Palace. Maybe the equivalent of our front door?
 
When the queen travels around town in the royal limo--you know, like if she'd want to head over to the Hard Rock CafĂ© to chow down on an authentic American burger--the limo would go through these special royal gates and take a royal shortcut through the park. Most of the parks in London have these royal shortcuts.
 
This is Queen Victoria's Fountain that sits in front of the palace.
Side note: Posing man looks like a cross between Jackie Chan and Mark Wahlberg. So difficult to get a photo at a major world tourist attraction without strange posers in there.

I love the artiness of that group of tourists all huddled together with their rainbow of umbrellas.
And even on a cloudy, rainy day, that gold just beams.
 
By this time I had had about all the cold and wet I cared to take for the day. Besides, my stomach reminded me that I hadn't eaten lunch. The Rubens had an excellent restaurant that served up a mean American hamburger. I was a happy girl. And by the time I was done eating, my room was ready.
 
I unpacked my bags and decided what to ship home versus carry home (read: what I was too tired to carry back in my suitcases, and exceeding airline weight limits was a concern). Fortunately for me, there was a shipping store just a block down from The Rubens. The rain had stopped by then so I carried the last of my treasures and shipped them off. Eighteen pounds to be exact. And wouldn't you know, there was a small bakery practically next door to my hotel and they carried pain au chocolat. I grabbed one of those and settled in for the evening. My last full day in London would be as busy as I could physically accomplish so a good night's rest was a must. So thankful for the ultra-comfortable bed.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment