Sunday, July 28, 2013

Day 19 -- 12 May 2013 -- Scottish Museum, Edinburgh

Amanda and I had a few hours to pass before our train left--me going to York, her going on to Sheffield. She suggested a walk through the Scottish Museum, so that's where we went. Great for me that they allowed picture-taking!

These first two are beautiful Van Gogh paintings. I loved the colors that he used, and how his style changed from one to the other.


The next few paintings were from a special exhibition they had of an American painter. Sorry, I can't remember his name.





The next painting I cannot remember if it's by the American artist, or someone else. All I know is that it's entitled "Sunrise," which the artist painted to commemorate the birth of his son. Two years later, he completed a companion painting entitled "Moonrise," to mark the birth of his daughter. Within eighteen months both children had died due to an epidemic going through the land. When you know the backstory, that's a lot of emotion as you gaze at the painting.
 
Just like the statue of the veiled woman at Chatsworth House, the fabric folds and movement in this statue just held me mesmerized.

I would love to learn how to paint light and depth like this. Spotting the man climbing makes me wonder where he's going, and why he would want to make this climb.

They had a special section in the museum with very low light to prevent fading of these exquisite old drawings. We're talking 1000-2000 years old. And older.

This drawing was included in that low-light collection. The entire piece measured three inches by three inches. Just goes to show that something rare and beautiful doesn't have to take up an entire wall. Look at the detail.
 
And of course a visit to Edinburgh would not be complete without seeing and photographing a kilt-wearing, bagpipe-playing Scotsman. A bit inconvenient when the wind gets its way with the tail on your hat.

Ahhh. Much better.
 
Before we knew it, it was time to head back to the hotel, collect our stored luggage, and make our way to the train station. Again, Amanda and I would be traveling in separate coaches so we had to say our goodbyes at the station.


Here's the North Sea again, on the way from Edinburgh to York.
 
When I got off the train at York, I managed to find Amanda in her coach and give her a last wave and blown kiss goodbye through the window. Thanks again, dear friend, for a fabulous weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment