Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Day 8 -- 1 May 2013: Winchcombe and Sudeley Castle

While poring through my Great Britain guide book, I had marked Sudeley Castle as a possible must-see. Not necessarily the castle itself, but definitely the grounds. Something about the descriptions of the gardens pulled me to visit. The history did, as well. Catherine Parr, the last wife of King Henry VIII, spent her last years and died here. I've gotta hand it to any woman who was his wife and outlived him. The castle is also occupied by a family who has opened certain parts of their home to paying tourists. I'm sure the upkeep on a place like this would stretch mighty deep into anyone's pocket.

The sun shone brightly that day. I'm telling you, I couldn't believe my hailstorm of blessings when it came to the excellent weather I experienced! Turns out that Winchcombe is not that far from Broadway, and Sudeley Castle is just outside Winchcombe. Had my windows open the entire way.

Driving through Winchcombe . . . I think I may have held my breath while driving main street. It was made more for a single horse pulling a tiny carriage. So glad I had that little car. In the first photo, the road doesn't look so bad. Just peer down the street, though, in that second photo. Yeah, most of the roadway looked like that. All in all, a very charming town.

 
Fortunately, the way to Sudeley Castle was well marked and it was only a minute or two drive out of the main village. I bought a ticket for the gardens only. The first place of beauty I came to was called the Tithe Barn. No roof, but that only let the sunshine in. There's something so enchanting about ruins with a history.
 
After passing through the Tithe Barn, this was my first glimpse of Sudeley Castle.

Below are the areas I walked through before reaching the main gardens. So many things in bloom; so beautiful!
 
The English countryside, perfectly framed.

 
 
I walked the road above and crossed to the right in front of the castle, reaching the south side just as I entered the gardens. Looking out to the southern hills, bleating of sheep floated across the air.



 
That is one tired ewe and her lamb.
 
See the second photo for an explanation of the next several photos.
 
The castle itself through the center, and the banqueting hall ruins to the right.
 
 
I didn't care to take the tour of the castle--didn't think my legs and feet would hold out--but this is the entrance.


Can't imagine how much time and effort it takes to keep these looking this manicured.

 
There were several signs that warned of leaning against this railing. I took them at their word.

 
Silly me. I should have sat down on the bench and taken a photo at the view looking back out.

 
 
I wondered if there is a gardening school, and they test you on shaping perfect bullet heads like this. Notice the chapel on the right, and the castle on the left. Catherine Parr is interred in the chapel.

 
Wouldn't this be the perfect place to sit and read a good book? I stood on the upper grass terrace to take this photo. A man and his wife sat on one of the benches behind me and to the left--he was sketching this garden. Made me wish I had brought my watercolors instead of leaving them in the car.
 
The Secret Garden was a very special place. Secluded. Private. Delightful statue cherubs. I rested on a bench here for quite awhile.
 
On my walk from the Secret Garden to the Owlery and Pheasantry.

 
I don't remember why, but the owners maintain an Owlery and Pheasantry, which implies exactly what it says--they keep various exotic pheasants and owls. I have to marvel at Heavenly Father's creations, the variety and beauty. Though I felt sorry for them caged up like this.

 
At least the peacock was allowed to roam free. The tail feathers were so extraordinarily long, and spread/stretched out under the bushes, that I was unable to get them in the photo. Amanda, I thought of you when I saw this bird. And of course Carly had to start singing the song when she viewed the photo.


The next several photos are of pheasants from all over the world. The third guy down looks like one of the villains in a sci-fi flick.

 
This is a side view of the chapel on the grounds. It doesn't belong to the family, but is an active parish of the Church of England.

 
 
Catherine Parr is interred under the floor, not in this sarcophagus. I guess they thought someone might try to steal her body if they left it in there.


I loved the way the light shone through the stained glass to the inlaid floor below.

 
A baptismal font. It was carved out of one piece of marble.
 
 
An old stone bench outside the chapel.

 
Another view of the castle.
 
Looking back up to the upper terrace I spoke of earlier. The sketch artist sat on that bench. Guess he was done by the time I arrived here.


The brilliant blue sky was perfect to capture these next two photos.


When I first saw these ducks in the grass, they all had their heads tucked in, facing the same way. I found it hysterical and reached for my camera to snap a pic. By the time I was ready, this other duck waltzed in to the group and startled them all awake and alert, so I snapped that instead. In the subsequent photo, they're all settling back down for their nap in the sun. This was next to the Tithe Barn on my way out.

 
The through-the-country-on-one-lane-roads trip to my next destination is deserving of its own post, so I'll leave you here with the ducks.

No comments:

Post a Comment