Thursday, June 27, 2013

Day 13, 6 May 2013 - Last Day in Paris

Because this Monday was a banking holiday in England, both Judith and Amanda had the day off, which gave us the nearly three days in Paris. I was so thankful. The day started out dreary--overcast and threatening rain. Didn't take long for the sky to open up. We didn't have umbrellas, but I did have a hood on my jacket. They had decided we needed to see the city from the Seine on the Bateaux Mouches. So that's what we did! 
 
Please forgive the raindrops on the boat's windows. The photos are not quite as spectacular as they could have been because of it, but we work with what we're given, right?!
 
At least we were nice and dry inside! I tried not to focus on all those life vests overhead, especially when I looked at how high the river was, and how fast the current ran. Not to mention how cold the water had to be.
 
The one big thing that surprised me were the houseboats tied up at the side of the river. Can you imagine living on a houseboat on the Seine, in Paris? The three of us said we'd like to go inside one.

 
The bridges were phenomenal, and all different. I didn't take notes here, either, on which bridge is which. It's so cool to me that they took as much pride making the bridge beautiful from the river's view as they did from the pedestrians' view.


 
 
Here are close-up photos of the Musee d'Orsay.

 
I loved this view of the Eiffel Tower, though to me it doesn't look nearly as large from the river. It would be even better if it was all lit up at night. With no rain.

 
And you know who gave us the gift of the Statue of Liberty, right? It was the French. Here's an exact replica, only much, MUCH smaller. And it's erected on a narrow island in the middle of the Seine.

 
Okay, Judith and Amanda -- here's the photo you wanted, since I was in the way for the two of you to get your own.
 
After we disembarked the boat, it was back on the metro to head over to the Galleries Lafayette. We found it quickly. Though quite stunning with all the stained glass and architecture, the designer prices were just a tad more than what any of us wanted to spend. Thankfully, picture-taking was free.




We went up on the higher levels and looked out over the balconies. Guess I was done taking any more photos, though. It was fun to look at all the overpriced designer merchandise.

 
With that, we were ready to hit the metro one last time, gather up our bags at the hotel, and take a taxi back to the train station. It was hard for me to say goodbye to Paris, then even harder to say goodbye to my friends back in London as they left to go north. Knowing that I'd be seeing each of them in a few days made it a little easier. And I was in London with two days to explore before I made my way up to the Peak District.
 
London. Not too tough to take. I could think of worse places to be.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment